Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: To old for Mangas??

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Johanna Bresgott's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Helle everyone,

    now i start a new interesting question. Could we ever be to old to read Mangas.
    Oh...he he...yes i?m older than 25 years. I feel a little bit shame for being so old but maybe it?t only because i life in Germany. Everything is different here. However, i think im not to old for it. But many of my friends say that i?m to old for it and that i?m crazy. They don?t understand me. My only girlfriend at the same age of me has the same problemes too. Now our weakness for Manga tied us together.^^ But if i came to think about all this i thought that Germany is a little bit different. Am i the only one at this age? What?s with you?

    I want to know if you are older than 20 years what are your friends think about you, reading Mangas at this age?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member tenjou_sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm not older than 20 years, but I know people who are and they still read manga. People sometimes ask them why they still read manga or say they're too old. The manga readers usually say ,"What's wrong with it? I'm not hurting anyone." "Too old? I didn't know there was an age limit for reading manga." Or ask the person why they're trying to take away something they like to do. That usually shuts them up for awhile XD.

    This reminds me of the question "Are you too old for cartoons." Frankly I'll be happy if I'm still reading manga and watching cartoons when I'm older. At least I'll know I don't take myself too seriously. =D

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Johanna Bresgott's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The most problem in Germany is realy that the publisher thinks it?s not desirable to puplish adult mangas with adult material in it. (talking about yaoi and other adult stuff)
    So i own a lot of Mangas from Japan. That?s very expensive. Also i am not able to read them. So i have to learn Japanese. I began it this year. It?s very hard work to learn, but it?s also a lot of fun. If i try to speak it correctly that?s always funny.
    But our teacher is very patient and nice. I wonder how long does i need to read my japanese Mangas by myself.
    But as long as i am not able to read them, i only look at them and if i want to understand them i have to find a nice translator for it and pay him/her for translating it for me.
    If Germany weren?t so obstinate with adult mangas i haven?t got to do such complicated things. But on the other hand i have a lot of fun with it. So it?s ok for me. I like it.
    But that?s why my friends came to think that i am crazy. I lern Japanese only to read mangas and i buy Japanese Mangas because German Mangas are mostly bored or childish.
    I hope some day it would change and the people don?t talk about mangas as a comic for kids.

    Oh, oh ...if i see the replys i came to think that i?ve made a mistake with the treadname.
    The begin was to talk about the age to read mangas and now it turns out like this.^^
    Sorry [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    But this is funny too. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner crisisdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2002
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hun, quick and simple solution. Grab a copy of your most explicit yaoi book, and lend it to your friends. They won't dare to say "children's thing" again. ~.^

    Don't worry. Even in my culture, where people read comics everywhere, some people still think that comics are childish. (Even for me, at my "tender young age". [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) I suppose it's just because they believe older people should be reading things with literary merit and big vocab words, instead of looking at pictures.

    However, when I go shopping at the local comic/anime mall, there are plenty of older people there, some even in their fifties. And the owner of one of my favorite comic shops is a woman who best fits the description of "little old lady".

    Also, I suppose in the west, the more childish comics and anime become more mainstream, because they appeal to all ages. They appeal to the huge market of kids, teens (who we all know love kiddie things ~.^), and adults.

    And I know this was aaages ago, but when I was in the U.S. for a wedding, I stayed up one night to watch "midnight run", which was anime shows on Cartoon Network from 12:00 until 5:00 (4:00?) AM. Not exactly a young child's staying up time, is it? Then again, they ran things like Sailormoon, DBZ, and Gundam...

    Hey, there are plenty of American made comics in the U.S. for older people as well. ^^

  5. #5
    Inactive Member speakerofthedead's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2003
    Posts
    53
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't adults read childrens books anyway?
    There's often a minimum age on manga/books/cartoons etc, but never a maxiumum age.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Shia's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't think that ppl can be too old to read mangas, specially considering, that a lot of mangas are aimed to an aduld audience.
    (and even if there would be an age to stop reading mangas... 25 wouldn't be even near it, in my opinion ^^)

    when my mom first saw me reading a manga she also asked why I'm reading a comic book at my age (and hey, I'm only 20 ^^;; ) uhm, I was reading Bronze Zetsuai at that time.. I had a bit of trouble explaining to her that this wasn't a book meant for children without mentioning words like "homosexuality" "violence" and "rape"... ^^;;

    I had the brilliant idea of trying to (picture-)read a japanese yaoi scanlation yesterday night... considering the fact that I know about.. uhm.. 3 kanji characters and only a very very basic vocabulary... man, that was fun ^^ (it was 2 am and I jumped up and down everytime I managed to recognize a word ^^ guess I have too much free time)
    (now I only need to get my hands on a translation of that manga.. or at least on someone who is willing and able to read it and summarise it for me in short words.. not that there would have been much of a plot.. but I'd just *love* to know how much I guessed right ^^)

    erm, this kinda got off topic... [img]redface.gif[/img]

    @ Mahyla: it's perfectly ok to read mangas at any age there is. (erm, I'm not talking about beeing 12 years old and reading yaoi, that's a different topic)
    And I wouldn't complain about the german manga releases, it gets better constantly and there are really quite a lot of good mangas beeing published already, I don't doubt that there will be more (and more *adult* mangas) to come ^^ patience [img]wink.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member hyaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm 21 and no one I know has really given me a hard time about reading comics, of course I also read books to when I have the time. I'm an art major in college so maybe they consider it an extension of my love for art. I was shocked, though, when I mentioned that I wanted to buy some comics for my little brother (age nine), my dad said he didn't want me to! He wanted him to only read books . . . I don't really understand but my dad is a very smart but strict person . . .

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Anime Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    237
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well I am not older then 20 but I even get a lot of stuff like that. See since I live in Canada Anime and Manga reading are for little kids and if you are over the age of 10 it is like a sin. But then again by the time it gets to Canada it is edited completly. I mean we will never get anything like Yaoi cause I mean even if we did they would probly make one of them a girl [img]eek.gif[/img] Like I am not even joking...which is sad..very sad to know that they would do that [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] Well that was a little of topic but I do get that a lot and I usually just say what is wrong with it?? And they usually just shut up by that point [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Reikou Hitakana's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2003
    Posts
    233
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Too old? No such thing. I'd read more manga if it weren't for the simple fact that it's A. Expensive and B. Hard to get your hands on a good book considering what passes for 'good' around the US is shounen jump (DBZ, Yugioh, yu yu hakusho, etc). The only manga I've seen thats been published that I don't have (and I only have the entire 'Akira' rerelease which is so much better than the movie) is some short manga called 'Clover' (from the lokos of it it might either be a clamp or from the ppl who did 'yami no matsuei') and something called 'vampire princess myuu'. Anyway though, no, there's no such thing as being too old. I'm 21 btw.

    -Reikou

  10. #10
    Inactive Member hyaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What country do you live in? In the states we can get tons of manga here lately, in the last year or so especially . . . although it's true a lot of it is kids stuff there is also more and more for an older audience. Clover is pretty good, it is by Clamp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •